Thursday, June 25, 2009

Is Facebook Copying Twitter?

Ha, Facebook's status updates are becoming more and more like Twitter every day. The article "Facebook vs Twitter Its On!" (link in title) says Facebook is beta testing a way to let you make your status updates available to everyone, not just your friends. This sounds like it could be a good and bad thing depending on how people use it. I use Facebook to share with my friends and tell them what I did over the weekend or review the last movie, anime, tv show I watched or the last book, manga, comic I read. I also use it to get "friendly" information such as what is a good, cheap, Indian restaurant in Berkeley. I use Twitter (and my blog) on a more professional basis to tell the world what I'm doing at work, learning in class, etc. The information I ask my followers relates to my field and I click on news links I am interested in to stay informed.

It also sounds redundant, that is what Twitter is for. If you want everyone to be able to see your updates then just join Twitter.

On another note, I just started Waltz class today and it was fun. I learned the basic box step, hesitation, half-hesitation and a turn. I met a lot of great people, saw some old friends and was able to work out.

1 comment:

  1. hi,

    I always felt that Facebook got the beginner's advantage since it gained popularity before twitter but this article made me realize otherwise.

    Nice article.

    ReplyDelete